Saturday, January 9, 2010

Hey, progress has been made!




This is one of those note to myself kind of things but I figured I'd share it if there are others who feel less than 100% today ... and maybe a touch down about stuff ...


One of the myths of Christianity that being a Christian means always being happy, confident, almost blissfully filled with the Holy Spirit. What I've seen from my experience is that those who don't struggle at times, do not ask the hard questions do not really get truly strong in the faith and have a more fragile faith when things get tough and challenging. For most Christians, conversion does not bring about drastic differences that you can perceive. Most of us still suffer from more-than-occasional doubts, discouragements, getting mad at God, and all-too-frequent sinning. It is a narrow road we walk.

Of course ... There are also lots of times we are graced with joy, and strength. Some real soaring Spiritual highs and growth! But alas, it takes a lot of living in faith to grow out of the negative things, and we never entirely leave them behind. It takes a long time to lay-down the blocks of the foundation. The building blocks include: faithfully attending worship, even when you feel down; praying regularly even when you'd rather spend the time doing something else, working at serving others, forgiving others even when you're really mad at them, and the many other Christian practices we know about.

When we do these things for month after month, year after year, and one day we look back and say 'hey, I've made a lot of progress! I don't suffer from doubts nearly as much as I used too! I don't lose my temper nearly as often as I used to, etc..."!!!!!
Hey! Progress has been made!

Tim



1 Thess 5:16 Rejoice always; pray without ceasing; in everything give thanks; for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus.

No comments: