Thursday, January 14, 2010

psychoanalysis




Just a couple of thoughts I would like to share ...

There is a tendency in the Christian world to focus on the good things, "uplifting forwards" and the like. They have there place, as we are to focus on things that are pleasing. In times of trouble and pain there are at times this attitude of bear up, keep smiling, suffering makes you strong mentality. And there is some truth in that as well. Then there are the personalities which include Moses, Job, Jeremiah and others who show incredible scenes of what seems like spiritual failure. Great saints all. And there are some of the Psalms which express rage which the church at times seems to want to suppress. Here are a few lines from Psalm 89:

46 How long, O LORD? Wilt thou hide thyself for ever? How long will thy wrath burn like fire? 47 Remember, O Lord, what the measure of life is, for what vanity thou hast created all the sons of men! RSV

And Psalm 88: 13 But I, O LORD, cry to thee; in the morning my prayer comes before thee. 14 O LORD, why dost thou cast me off? Why dost thou hide thy face from me? 15 Afflicted and close to death from my youth up, I suffer thy terrors; I am helpless. 16 Thy wrath has swept over me; thy dread assaults destroy me. 17 They surround me like a flood all day long; they close in upon me together. 18 Thou hast caused lover and friend to shun me; my companions are in darkness. RSV

The Psalms to me are like a kind of soul therapy, psychoanalysis if you will. They show what a relationship with God and the world really look like. They do not rationalize anger, give advice about pain that shows little empathy for the suffering but rather, loudly at times, and vividly express these feelings toward God. Even rage! We don't and probably shouldn't cover up these feelings but it is far, far better to bring our moments of weakness to God, who alone has the real power to heal us! We don't need to dress up and put a good face on things to meet with our Lord, He can be trusted with reality. I find that these Psalms when meditated on allows us to take a different perspective on things. They start with a vent, an appeal, move on to reflection, answered prayers in the past and moves towards praise. God uses these words from the bible, among many others, to create longings I didn’t have, to start a dead heart beating, and to reveal, when I was incapable of seeing, the beauty, sufficiency, and majesty of Jesus Christ and his cross. This type of spiritual reality therapy does work for me and I wanted to share that with you all. I know that there are those hurting here ...

Be blessed ...

No comments: