Wednesday, December 3, 2008

A Horse and His Boy


The background is this: Shasta (the boy) is running away with Bree (the horse)। During their adventure they met another talking horse carrying Aravis (a girl)। Right before they meet, they are attacked by lions. Further along in the story, a lion manages to scratch Aravis' back. Turns out this whole time it was Aslan, the Great Lion (an allegorical Christ figure in the series).

Here's the quote: "I was the lion who forced you to join with Aravis। I was the cat who comforted you among the houses of the dead. I was the lion who drove the jackals from you while you slept. I was the lion who gave the Horses the new strength of fear for the last mile so that you should reach King Lune in time. And I was the lion you do not remember who pushed the boat in which you lay, a child near death, so that it came to shore where a man sat, wakeful at midnight, to receive you." "Then it was you who wounded Aravis?" [Shasta asked.] "It was I." "But what for?" "Child," said the Voice, "I am telling you your story, not hers. I tell no one any story but his own."



~CS Lewis, Chronicles of Narnia, A Horse and His Boy (ch। 11)


No comments: