Saturday, January 10, 2009

Divorcee: Forget the kids, I want my kidney back!

This could very well be the strangest article I've come across yet ...


Divorcee: Forget the kids, I want my kidney back



Broken hearts are a staple feature of many divorces, but one US man has added a novel twist to his settlement by demanding that his estranged wife undergoes surgery to give him back his kidney.

In 2001, Richard Batista showed his dedication to his other half by stepping forward when doctors said she was in dire need of a new kidney. The doting husband beat odds of 1-in-700,000 to be a viable match.

But he claims that his wife-of-19-years repaid the heart-warming gesture by shacking up with her physical surgeon - a charge both of them deny - and says he now wants the organ returned to his body.

"This is my last resort," Batista said. "I didn't want to be in the public eye." Despite the animosity, Batista insisted he would donate the kidney all over again to his hopefully soon-to-be-ex. He fondly recalls a visit to her room on the day after surgery.

"There was no greater feeling on this planet," he said. "As God is my witness, I felt as if I could put my arm around Jesus Christ. I was walking on a cloud."


http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2009/01/07/2009-01-07_long_island_doctor_richard_batista_to_es.html


I don't think I would take the kidney back... the whole situation is just weird.

2 comments:

Marie Reed said...

That is a kick in the pants.. or the kidney actually!

Anonymous said...

I heard this story. It seems the wife may have been doing the hanky-panky with her surgeon very, very, very soon after the husband donated the kidney. It seems to me there's some sort of implication in the donation of kidney that you're planning on being with the person. It would be different it happened tens years after the kidney. It just seems the wife may have been up to something all along.