Sunday, February 8, 2009

'Dem Bones/Sedlec Ossuary Chapel of All Saints

Ezekiel - Chapter 37:4 Then he said to me, "Speak to these bones and say, `Dry bones, listen to the word of the Lord! 5 This is what the Sovereign Lord says: Look! I am going to breathe into you and make you live again! 6 I will put flesh and muscles on you and cover you with skin. I will put breath into you, and you will come to life. Then you will know that I am the Lord.' "


Now for something different I came across ...

Until it was bombed out in World War II, a Christian sanctuary called the Sacra Infirmary Chapel on Malta was decorated entirely with human bones. The three photos below show detail in the Sedlec Ossuary Chapel of All Saints, located in the Czech Republic. It is decorated with the bones of 40,000 saints!





Now this raises a theological question. If it is believed that those who are "resurrected with Christ" in the last day will rise up with their bodies, then what would one see if one was in one of these chapels at the moment of the Last Trump? Just had to ask ...


No comments: