Saturday, February 7, 2009

Psalm 61



The writers of the Psalms lived in a world that took the existence of God utterly for granted. The Psalm writers may often lament the absence of this God from their lives, but they never doubt that there is a God who could be present. In our Post Modern world, even those who have taken that leap of faith know that that is what we have done, and many people stand on the brink, wondering how to get across at all.


My workplace in this troubled economic time is a “battlefield” which is teaching me more than I ever could imagine. In trying to keep things in perspective, I continuously tell myself that the negativity and stress there is refining my character. Some days however, my character refuses to be refined! Working in a chaotic environment brings out the worst in everyone, including me.

There are times I realize how deep my resentment runs. I’ve distanced myself from some and have been remote to overworked managers who are trying the best they can. Rancor? I feel it running deeply in my soul; shattering the image I have of myself as a kind, loving Christian. My reluctant prayer is one of thanks to God, for once again reminding me that my place of trial holds the potential for my greatest growth. And, the key to survival is placing my hope in Him alone. He promises He will carry my burdens, today I purpose (again!) that I will let Him.


I share this Psalm with the prayer that it might speak to other people of faith--and doubt-- and enrich their lives and experience of the divine in the day to day.


Have a blessed day everyone!


Psalm 61

A David Psalm 1-2


God, listen to me shout, bend an ear to my prayer.

When I'm far from anywhere,

down to my last gasp,

I call out, "Guide me

up High Rock Mountain!"


3-5 You've always given me breathing room,

a place to get away from it all,

A lifetime pass to your safe-house,

an open invitation as your guest.

You've always taken me seriously, God,

made me welcome among those who know and love you.


6-8 Let the days of the king add up

to years and years of good rule.

Set his throne in the full light of God;

post Steady Love and Good Faith as lookouts,

And I'll be the poet who sings your glory—

and live what I sing every day.

(The Message)

No comments: