Monday, March 16, 2009

"haunted house" theology



I was wondering ... do we as Christians worry to much about evil at times. How much should we keep an eye out for the deceiving things of the world but of course keep our main focus on Jesus? I am reading a lot of things on the web lately that point out occult or satanic things that many of us are probably not even aware of...is that a good thing or not?

I have seen long discussions about the dangers of certain things like Harry Potter, pokemon, Dungeons and Dragons, the third eye on our American money (just to name ONE thing on it that is considered evil) and the list just keeps getting longer and longer... I thought about doing a thread titled...list all the occult or evil things you know about...just to exchange information about all these things. But do you think that would be really an edifying thing to do? Would it be somewhat paranoid? Shouldn't our focus be elsewhere?


In order for me just to learn about ALL the evil things and why they are evil and how to avoid them I would be spending 99% of my time reading and searching for those things ... Since we are not fighting against people made of flesh and blood is there anything that isn't evil in it? Probably a few things ... but honestly its hard to even hear about a church that isn't corrupted anymore ... Let alone anything else.


If I have 666 on the barcodes of everything in my home is that opening me up to demonic attacks? If I turn the TV on and flip through the channel and just happen to run across a show on witchcraft for two seconds is that enough to cause demonic attacks? If I am walking around with dollar bills in my pocket with the third eye on it, is that enough to cause spiritual harm to me?Can evil even totally be avoided in this world? ... Should any of us really spend the time and energy to keep up on EVERYTHING that is bad or not? I would think this would lead to be the most fearful of Christians, all the time. Wouldn't it be easier to just assume everything is evil and wear the Armor Of God at all times?

Since God doesn't give us the spirit of fear..and we are told to we should "have no anxieties about anything"....is this really benefiting us focusing on all the evil, demon stuff out there?I think too a point we do need to be aware of some things going on, especially if you are a new Christian and not aware of the dangers of some things...sure...but how much do you think is too much knowledge of these things?

This is what I call "haunted house" theology -- Christians who are constantly seeing demons or evil spirits all around them.I think this way ... we know there is evil built into the very fabric of this world. But we are not of this world. I know that by focusing on Christ, I am kept safe from evil influence, and even see it flee from the presence of the Holy Spirit in me. Jesus recognized evil, but surely never feared it. Neither should we.We are to be wise as serpents and harmless as doves. We walk through the midst of evil knowing that the power of God is greater. "....I will fear no evil, for Thou art with me....."


Have a blessed day everyone! May His peace be upon you ...
2 Timothy 1:7 "For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind."
Ephesians 6:10 "A final word: Be strong with the Lord's might power.
11 Put onall of God's armor so that you will be able to stand firm againstall strategies and ticks of the Devil.
12 For we are not fightingagainst people made of flesh and blood, but against the evil rulers and authorities of the unseen world, against those mighty powers of darkness who rule this world, and against wicked spirits in the heavenly realms.
13 Use every piece of God's armor to resist the enemy in the timeof evil, so that after the battle you will still be standing firm.

1 comment:

WKen said...

It's easier to respond to evil than to try to better ourselves, I think.

Therefore, we obsess over everything else.

A college professor of mine talked about the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil and the Tree of Life that way.

It's always easier to draw lines of good and evil rather than to pursue life. We keep on making the same choice that Adam and Eve did.