Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Psalm 43/ More Whine, Please



Psalm 43 Judica me, Deus


1-2 Clear my name, God; stick up for me against these loveless, immoral people. Get me out of here, away from these lying degenerates. I counted on you, God. Why did you walk out on me? Why am I pacing the floor, wringing my hands over these outrageous people?


3-4 Give me your lantern and compass, give me a map, So I can find my way to the sacred mountain, to the place of your presence, To enter the place of worship, meet my exuberant God, Sing my thanks with a harp, magnificent God, my God.


5 Why are you down in the dumps, dear soul? Why are you crying the blues? Fix my eyes on God—soon I'll be praising again. He puts a smile on my face. He's my God. Why did you walk out on me? Why am I pacing the floor, wringing my hands over these outrageous people?


There are penitential Psalms. There are cursing Psalms. And then there are some of my favorites -- the whining Psalms. Psalm 43 is a fairly mild example; but you see what I mean. "Why are people so mean to me? Why is everything so hard? Why do I feel so bad?"


I'm typing this as I lay on the sofa, swaddled in a "Indian" blanket, in my jammies and am sucking down a hot mug hot peppermint green tea to break up the bronchitis that seems to be creeping into my chest. I'm bone-tired ...

I have no profundities to share today; no somber reflections I care to write about now. Because, right at this moment, it's all about me. Sheesh!


To me one of the great things about Psalms as devotional tools is their bold honesty. There's no holding back even one's darkest impulses. Psalms whine; they pound chest-thump; they wish violent death on the little children of enemies. E-Gads! The Psalms show what a relationship with God looks like and some days it isn't pretty!But it's worth noting that, in all of this, the Psalmists don't stay turned inward on themselves; they always inevitably look outward to God. "This is me. This is my mess. Help me!"

Time to look outward ... Have a blessed day everyone!

No comments: