Saturday, June 20, 2009

In The Tub Being Scrubbed




I Corinthians 6:9, “Do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived. Neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor homosexuals, nor sodomites, 10 nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners will inherit the kingdom of God. 11 And such were some of you. But you were washed, but you were sanctified, but you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus and by the Spirit of our God.”

**************
Traditional interpretation of this list says if you are a (or an):

evil doer (unrighteous)

goes after the desires of the flesh (fornicator)

worships images (Idolater)

untrue when married (adulterers)

abusers

Homosexual

Thief

Covetous

drunkard

reviler (party animal?)

Extortion (black mailer etc).

You shall not inherit the Kingdom of Heaven. In other words, Go straight to Hell do not pass go …


But I’ve been wondering. Paul goes on to say: “And such were some of you… but you have been washed…”Could it be, that it’s not that they have overcome those sins, but that they are no longer allowing themselves to be identified with those sins? They are not any longer saying I’m these things, but they are saying I’ve been washed, I’m in Christ? That Eternity is based on Who I know and Whose I am, not what I do? That I should no longer identify myself with my flavor of sins, cause according to Romans it’s no longer me that’s sinning anyway? This is in no way to excuse sin in our lives by any means … But more that we are currently in the tub being scrubbed!

What do you think?

1 comment:

Laura said...

Scrub-a-dub-dub!

Not just my feet but the rest of me too, Lord...