Friday, June 26, 2009

wrestling around ...



How many of you remember wrestling around with your Dad when you were small, or wrestled around with your own kids? I remember doing that getting all tangled up and trying to break free. Of course I could never really win and when I got loose I would hang around to get "captured" again. I loved the feeling of strength and security of his arms around me and I just loved being close to my Dad. I didn't really want to be free but I think I wanted to push against his strength and know he still had me tight no matter how much I twisted and turned.


I think that this is what my relationship with God is like now. A lot of the time I feel like I'm wrestling with God, with my faith, with my theology, with everything. It seems like I'm trying to break free of God but really I'm not. I just enjoy the sensation of knowing that no matter how much I wrestle, no matter how much I fight, God's got a tight hold on me and he's not letting go. I like feeling the strength and security of God's amazing grace. I like pushing the boundaries of my faith, but I also like knowing that no matter how much I push God still has me wrapped up in his arms. I like knowing that nothing I can do (nor any question I can ask) will separate me from the great love of God. (Romans 8:35-39)

No comments: